AADC 2016

AADC 2016
Our program is located in Lexington, KY.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

What I Learned at AADC

We will add to this post each day, after Sarah Russell (mama of campers for years, and now volunteer!)  posts her lists after each session at camp. :)

Thursday, June 16th, 2016
What I learned at Camp today:
• Singing and dancing before 10am can really wear you out
• Deuce got to introduce his new friend Caleb today. This is huge because in the 5 years he has attended, he has never wanted to do that
• Julz Shamrock and I practiced our parts in the play: crying happy tears watching these angel children sing, dance, and act. 
• One little girl walked up during opening, took the mic from Anna Brannenand told us all we would be getting a wonderful surprise. I cannot wait to see what it is:)
• During dress rehersals one of our actors said his line, looked out at his audience and said "Wasn't that funny??!" So stinking cute
• Kayla informed me that the lady who helps them backstage is a "creative genius " When I asked her name, she said "I don't know". When I asked her to describe her she said" probably 20-40, blondish brownish hair, and nice" Well gee, THAT narrows it down. 
• Seriously though, I would be lying if I said I hadn't been apprehensive going into this week. I am a prechool teacher. I am not that great with school aged kids. But these other volunteers are inspiring. I have learned so much about inclusion and acceptance and love. 
•The play is tomorrow at 11am. It is at the Jessamine Early Learning Village. I urge you to attend. It will ‪#‎changeyourworld‬


Wednesday, June 15th, 2016
What I learned at camp today:
• I found the caffeine!! 
• We are progressively arriving later every day. I hope to rectify this tomorrow. (I also hope I'll have a sudden growth spurt and have long legs but we all know that ain't happening )
• Today Deuce got a lot more practice time on the Xylophone. Miss Hannah Miller even taught him Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Now he thinks he needs one here at home..
• There is a family that comes to camp and has 4 boys. Deuce is fascinated. He looks at them while the play on the playground with such longing;) Sorry dude, you are stuck with 3 sisters.
• We got to play with PUPPIES. So cute!!
• During opening ceremonies, we had to look at the screen and find out our super hero names. Um yeah, my vision cannot read small white letters on a green background. Anna Brannen was gracious enough to let me come forward and read it off the laptop. My super hero power is NOT Super Vision. But, my Super Hero name is MEGA COCONUT
• We had a Batman in our class today. He was in shock when I told him I was Harley Quinn in real life
• We sing some songs in the play. I keep thinking one of them sounds like it was sung by Zac Efron and the other is from Austin and Ally and I already knew all the words. I may be watching too much Disney channel
• This camp is awesome. My faith in humanity has been restored! Everyone is positive and helpful, but not too overpowering. They don't talk down to the kids. They expect their best but they know that today's best may not be as stellar as yesterday's best. And that's just fine:) 


Tuesday, June 14th, 2016
What I learned at camp today:
• leaving my house 5 minutes later made me 15 minutes later arriving. Stupid traffic
• I love how many of the teachers and helpers are trying so hard to ease Deuce out of his anxiety. It really means a lot you all. 
• Cooper and I had on the same color shorts so we paired up in one of the team building activities. She was totally unimpressed when I told her my super power was surviving on no sleep. 
• I am learning all sorts of cool dances. Too bad I am a horrible dancer
• Deuce got to play the xylophone today. He LOVED it.
• I never did find the pop machine
• Today there was a Batgirl and Supergirl running around . Makes me want to go buy a Wonder Woman costume
• There are rumors that they are bringing puppies to camp for the kids to play with. Ummm, yeah, can I play too??


Monday, June 13th, 2016:
What I learned at camp today:
• Getting up before 7:30 is for the birds
• We have co-op friends everywhere:) 
• Deuce told his class that his talent was arguing...
• One kid asked me if I was Deuce's sister so he's my new favorite
• I had no idea what Pop Se Ko was but now I do. I was SO missing out
• My 2 little girls already had a clique formed by snack.
•Anytime my girls get to hang with the Browning girls, is a good time.
• All of my kids took naps today so they must have gotten worn out
• There are some AMAZING humans that work at this camp. Seriously. Angels from heaven.






No comments: